Saturday, October 1, 2011

Deep Thoughts



I had my first week at work with my normal schedule (4 days off, 3 days on). It was pretty good. I was able to really enjoy my time off with a little lazing around, a little focus and work on my textile design ideas, and a little fun around town. Then I was able to get some continuity at work and not resent it because I knew I would be getting a break again before I got too tired. I am trying to focus on making the overall space as aesthetically pleasing as is within my power. I am trying to highlight and give respect to the things that I think are deserving. For example, we have a whole wall of trims, mostly amazing, that were shoved together and tangled, and I cleaned them up, color coordinated them from pale to dark, and made them look amazing. While doing so, I found several that I plan to buy even though I have no immediate use for them.

I am also trying to remember to treat every interaction with as much genuine humanity as I can. I really enjoy meeting and interacting with people especially when I am centered and focused. I love it when people are grateful and complimentary, and I hate it when they are condescending, impatient and rude. But, I feel better when I remind myself of the words of Deepak Chopra, that I am not the good, nor the bad things that people think about me. One thing that I am keenly aware of now, more than ever, is that it is never o.k. to treat another person, working for you or not, disrespectfully.

This might seem like a ridiculous idea to people who like to feel superior. It might also seem risky to say that we are not dependent on the good or bad opinions of others, because where does that leave morals, social codes, and even connections? I am not sure and I can't get into too lengthy an argument here. I do know that I like it when the truth strengthens something good and is dangerous to something bad.

David took our daughter, Valerie, to a talk tonight, and is taking her to another one tomorrow night, at the Sydney Opera House. It is part of a series of talks called "The Festival of Dangerous Ideas". Most of the topics seem very heady and some, I am hoping are less outrageous than they sound. The ones that they are hearing are Jonathan Safran Foer, talking on vegetarianism, and Slavoj Zizek on Communism. Unfortunately, the tickets are not available to the masses, and they are probably serving meat in the cafes. Still, I feel chuffed to be part of a family that cares about important issues, whether they are practical or philosophical. I also feel extremely fortunate to live in a place where this type of thing gets a "festival" and a saturday night booking at the opera house.

I tend to think a lot and sometimes I just want to quiet my mind. I thought that working a low level job would pull me out of thinking and into doing, but really, it just gives me more to think about. I get creative ideas but I also just feel my brain making sense of people and things.

(the photo is of David and Valerie leaving to go to the talk, and the bus that I take to work)

4 comments:

  1. Sheila, this is a lovely post, I read it twice because I like to find words that make me think.
    There is so much in this post.
    I tend to think a lot as you do, sometimes my thoughts are overwhelming, sometimes I do not like them and I try to keep them at bay but they come back crawling, like snakes gone mad.
    Creative moments help me to find my balance. And then, you know, every thing passes, and serenity is back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, a lot to digest and think what you said. I think a lot too and I'm a loner and love my own company to think. Hi David and Valerie, enjoy the talk at the grand Opera House - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments Blandina and Nat. I am glad you were able to relate to some of it. Creative projects really do help calm me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila I truly am enjoying your new blog. I think we create in some part to make sense of all the thinking and to escape it. I don't know if it's possible to stop the thoughts. Maybe the best we can hope for is to learn not to attach and obsess over them.

    Anyway, thank you. I know we've never met in person or even talked very much but you have helped trigger a new direction in my work and the way I think about my work. Sometimes the biggest things come from the smallest interactions.

    ReplyDelete