Saturday, October 8, 2011

POP goes the beginning of October!




This last week seems to have sped along from one thing to another. The work/home/fun pattern is establishing itself, and new possibilities are popping up all over the place.
Last Saturday David and I went on the train to IKEA. We got a wardrobe to hold all the stored clothing that I brought from the states - good bye large box in our room. We got two rugs for the two downstairs rooms so they are a little cozier and less echo-ey. We got a side board to match the dining set so we have storage. and we got a small cupboard to put our bike supplies in. It was a huge bunch of purchases, and I don't really want to feel like I am living in a cookie cut IKEA, but we had been looking around with no luck and we were really overwhelmed by the logistics and the number of things. So, now we have a basis to try and decorate a comfortable and stylish temporary rental home.

This inspired me to take on two other tasks. One was getting my art supplies and fabric boxes organized in the big walk-in storage closet at the top of the steps. I got rid of all the cardboard and paper from the shipping company, and organized the lot. So now it is tidy and there is more room to move around to dig out whatever containers I may need.

The other thing I did was go to two different design stores to look at fabrics to recover an old chair that we have. It is a very cool vintage piece and will be Ab FAb when it is redone. I am excited about having gorgeous fabric to look at every time I walk into the room. I also want to figure out how to incorporate complimentary fabrics on the throw pillows for the couch, and the love seat in the other room. It has been really fun to have my obsessive thoughts focused on fabrics, design, color, etc. I fall asleep imagining different ideas. I may decide to print or dye some fabric and make my own pillows. I am just really happy right now about the idea of supporting the work of other independent textile designers.

Speaking of supporting other designers, Wednesday night I got on the bus after work and went straight down to Circular Quay (pronounced key) then walked over to The Rocks for the opening celebration of my friend Kit's (those of you who know Nat, this is her amazing daughter) pop-up shop. Kit won a competition to have a 6 week stint in this historic part of town that is known for its high end shops and restaurants. It is a popular tourist area with narrow, winding, cobbled streets.

Kit's concept was to have a fun, cute, brightly colored space filled with crafty, hand-made items. True to her personality, she whirled people, products, and publicity into her creative vortex. The shop (named "Mini Mart"), and the opening event were marvelous. There were snacks, drinks, and DJs (two groovy young women), and smiling conversation all around.

I saw Jenna (my life as a magazine) who I had met at Kit's first craft night back in June. She had her work in the Mini Mart, and it was as adorable as she is. I also saw a guy that I had sold fabric hooks to at my work. He is a textile designer who I never thought I would see again, and there he was at the same party as me. He is Spanish and does photographic images on fabric. I got his website info and will follow his progress.

There were other happenings this week involving friends, art, and entertainment, but I will have to write about that later as I have gone on long enough.

Hasta next week!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila, Mini Mart's opening looked like a fun night. Kit said your whole family went to support. Thank you - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nat, you have produced such an amazing daughter! I am really happy to be friends with her, and you. The opening was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too used ikea for my provisional flat, it is inexpensive and the design is sometimes interesting. It is funny though to walk in my son's flat here in California and find the same objects! But we can always give more personality with carefully chosen (or, in our case) hand made accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aracne, maybe we have some of the same pieces! I hope you are enjoying California. I used to live in Santa Cruz. It is a beautiful state in some places. Thanks for your comment. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila! Thank you for your kind words about the shop! I'm so glad we met and became friends, you are a true gem. x

    ReplyDelete