Saturday, October 15, 2011

Give us this day...







I remember an old woman many years ago when I lived in Santa Cruz saying to me that she had the same thing every day for breakfast. I thought that was so odd and infinitely boring. I don't know what point it started at for me, but I have had toast every morning for at least the past ten years. Sometimes it is a toasted scone. Sometimes, rarely, I have an egg, cereal, oatmeal, or some fruit with toast. For a while I had pancakes on Sunday. But, basically, I don't need or want anything else than one piece of toast with butter and jam with my tea.

The catch is that it has to be delicious, high quality bread. White, wheat, rye, multi-grain, doesn't matter as long as it is not full of air and dough conditioners. My favorite is a dense, German style rye. To my delight, Sydney is a heaven for bread (a.k.a. toast). I can get it in the supermarket, the green grocer, the bakeries, or the week-end street markets. It is only a problem to choose which one to buy. I go to Bourke Street Bakery, Sonoma Baking Co., and The Grumpy Baker. Last Saturday, I got a lovely, heavy rye from Neu's at the Taylor Square Market.

I don't see myself changing my habit any time soon. In fact, I have to refrain from having the same thing for lunch.

I have been doing some sketching and researching certificate programs for textile design. I am really excited that I have a routine and a plan to propel me through the next two years at least. (more on that later).

5 comments:

  1. It looked like you had a lovely Saturday. Daily bread yes, Tom will agree with you on that. He has slice of bread everyday and at any time of the day too. Good luck finding the course for textile design. I am glad to hear you are settled into a routine - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, do I love bread, just the smell of it! I used to make bread and couldn't get out of a bakery without having a bite of what I just bought.
    Then I developed a gluten intolerance...better this than something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat and Blandina, thanks for your comments. I know that you can have too much of a good thing, but it seems to agree with me so far. cheers, sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila, I just love your new blog! Oh how cool is that red riding hood tea pot! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for stopping by Jenna! I actually got that teapot in London, but it is Japanese as you can guess.

    ReplyDelete