Sunday, September 25, 2011

Newtown Suburb Monday with Mira






Thank goodness the rain let up today. Yesterday was wet, windy and cold. Today there were pretty, puffy clouds and 60f/18c degree temps. Mira had to drop off her scholarship application at the student center so we decided to stroll around Newtown afterwards and get some art supplies for screen-printing some of our designs that we have both been planning. The first photo is of the roof of one of the beautiful buildings on the campus of University of Sydney. After we dropped off the paperwork, we headed to a nice little shop in Newtown called Art on King/Modern Times. It is an art supply and book store combo. I got a beautiful card to send a friend in The States and I saw a book called "Textiles - The Whole Story" (something to put on a Christmas list). We also got the paint/ink for printing. I have an old screen and squeegie that we can use. We had lunch at Luxe cafe. Delish goat cheese, shaved fennel root and fig jam sandwich with tea and linzer torte for dessert.
I was spaced out and not paying attention to the scene, but Mira noticed two "knit bombs"! Look it up if you haven't heard of it. I am posting a photo of one of them. It is a scuzzy looking pay phone dolled up with a little crochet on the cable. Also I am posting Mira's little work of art - her original drawing/embroidery of the cat from one of her recent reads called The Master and Margarita. The other photo is of a creatively dressed old woman I saw walking by with her shopping bag. I loved her wild colored skirt.

5 comments:

  1. It looked like a good day out in New Town! Cute knit bombs. I got one on my sewing lamp, I still didn't find out who put it there! Gorgeous cat from Mira's creation - your blog is very interesting, keep it up - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to have a look to the other side of the world.
    I have not seen knit bombs here in Florence, but I like the idea and it makes me smile because I am most of all a knitter (although in this moment I am exprimenting a lot with textiles and new techniques).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat, who could have knit on your sewing lamp? that is so funny!
    Aracne, I love your blog, seeing Florence and the embroidery stitches. Thanks for writing in Italian and English! It must be time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, I enjoy reading your blogs. I am glad you are finding so many new and interesting places and people too. Tell Mira I love her cat design. Love Gramma Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks Mom! I will tell Mira. I am glad you figured out how to get here and how to comment. I hope it makes it easy for everyone to follow the developments in our new lives here. xo

    ReplyDelete