Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Job

The last ten years I have been mostly self-employed. I ran sewing and textile arts classes. I had an on-line business selling eco-friendly bags that I made. During that time I worked hard designing, sewing, doing all the advertising, business, and networking necessary to keep myself going. It was hard work but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed being creative, in charge, and having a flexible schedule. I didn't enjoy being mostly on my own and having to be the one always making every decision and keeping myself motivated even when things were tough. So, with this move to Sydney, I decided to try a new approach.

I am working part-time at a shop, spending my free time doing art, getting involved in the amazing events and activities that this city has to offer, swimming in the ocean, and hopefully, spending time with any new friends that I meet. Having a schedule for a few days a week will help me get out of the house, structure my time, and motivate me to make use of the days that I do have free.

The first few weeks of my job were, frankly, a horror. I was not used to going, non-stop, for almost 9 hours, and they had me working full-time so that I could get trained. I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and the store was so busy that I basically had to learn as I went. I am not good at doing things that I don't understand. So, it was a challenge for me to endure, but I did and now I am settled into a pretty low stress groove.

I even ride my bike sometimes to and from work. I have a special map of the city that shows the bike lanes and secondary roads that are safe for bikes. I used it to figure out a winding path to work. I go by neighborhoods, shops, old buildings, and parks that I never would have seen or known about. It reveals the charms of the city that you can't see driving on the main roads.

The shop is a fabric, yarn and craft store so, I get to be around some things that I can imagine working with, and I get to talk with creative customers about their projects. I like helping people and I like making the shop look nice. Not everyone is nice, and not all the items in the shop are to my liking, but I try to make the best of it. I do think that no matter what work you are doing, the meaning and the enjoyment and fulfillment comes from within.

For now, I am enjoying the work and the learning experience. I have started two projects for textile designs. I will post them when they are further developed. I have also gotten 2 tips on screen printing classes that I will do. Thanks to my job, I have the money to pay for it.

4 comments:

  1. Good to see your second post and learned a bit more about you. I like your bike routs. I used to do the same thing when I lived in London. Main path is boring. I like taking the more scenic routs. Glad you happy at work. Happiness comes from within, my believed too - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nat, happiness does come from within, but it is easier to be happy when the people around you are happy! Thanks for adding happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sheila, I read with interest and I think that you found a good compromise because your work will give you the economical security to continue and develop your art. I love how you make yourself like what you do and how you bring your creativity into it. You are a wise young woman and I am curious about your textile projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aracne, thanks for your kind words, and for thinking I am young! I am actually 50, but I try to be young at heart. I will be posting more of my textile arts as I get them going. I still have to set up supplies and a work space in my new home. In the meantime, I will try to post some of my previous projects that I am still attached to. What textiles do you work with?

    ReplyDelete