Sunday, May 27, 2012

Stitching in Sydney

I have been to a few big events lately, but I will write about them later.  I really just want to put up a quick post with some photos then get back to stitching.  I am feeling quite good about the process and the results of just wielding various needles and various threads.  I like the calming, meditative effects that it has on me, as well as the creative release.  I also like feeling part of a huge, world-wide community of artistic people who are embracing textiles and fibers as a medium.  The ancient and future possibilities of even the most scoffed at Cross-stitch are driving me to almost delirious extremes.
So here are a few pictures of what I have been up to so far, and I am back at it.


part of one of my Ode to Lucienne Day stitch samplers

1912 Ukrainian women processing hemp
my first Amigurumi (crocheted toy)

my first cross-stitch: actually called Assisi stitch 

an ancient yugoslavian cross-stitch pattern and my own plan

this actually tempts me to get a tattoo!
I am making a granny square (circle in a square) pillow

6 comments:

  1. Love all of this , Sheila !!!!
    Keep up the good and fun stuff .
    Love you,
    Auntie E

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are having fun with the stitchery. I never mastered cross stitch and did very little embroidery but I really want to do some knitting . I have a huge collection of patterns but just don`t get busy doing it.Right now I am ready to make myself a new apron. Gramma Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone! Mom, you should pick something quick and easy that you can do while watching the tellie. By the way, I deleted one of your comments because you duplicated it. Sorry it shows up as being removed which makes it look like censorship, but it's not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cross stitch pattern. especially. My granny squares were never that lovely HA but I did a bazillion Swedish and German cross stitch patterns when I was a teen.
    Svea wore a Victorian shirtwaist with exquisite stitching and tiny pleats to prom. It was only $38 at Incahoots and I was sorry no pictures were taken of it. You'd love it. I did my first own-pattern recently for a colleague's baby afghan. Again, no pictures (and in this age of the fb post, too, dammit)
    We're in a similar whirlwind like you had last year, with the exception of no moving--at least not permanently. Mom is here for the lead up to graduation and bought me a gorgeous Jacquard wine red shawl at New Frontiers from India that has turned my formerly low opinion of viscose on its ear.
    Right now I am logging off in hopes that the post film Festival partying is over. Check out my fb for a link to the project she did with Henry Sorren (her beau). She did the screenplay and he did the animation....another form of artistry that is underrated yet dazzling if done right--just like textiles!

    ReplyDelete