Sunday, April 22, 2012

April Showers Bring May Knitting Projects


my darling daughters

Artwork at the Gallery of New South Wales


honey lavender is the best!
working the curve on the lining, with cute ironing board cover from IKEA



Lauren Child Liberty fabric

I have been spending some lovely time with my daughters lately.  They were home on Easter break and the weather was rainy, so we did cozy indoor things.  We sat around talking, laughing, watching bad french videos, and eating meals. Mira made lots of cupcakes and other yummy foods which caused me to gain about 5 pounds.

I did do some zumba, but I am starting to feel a little bit pitiful doing it by myself with the laptop in my dining room.  Still, it is the best abdominal workout, and fun if you don't mind humiliating yourself.  I haven't been getting out riding, swimming or even walking as much, so indoor workouts are essential.  I should join a class or a gym, but I am trying to save on the budget.

I have been on a roll with various needle arts projects.  I knit two scarves with a pompom ruffling yarn from work - one for me and one for a gift for my mother in law.  I have been designing, drawing, and stitching on my next picture for Embroidery Guild which is due May 5th.  I am struggling with the colors, as usual, but it is a good exercise for me to make something work.  I made a dress for Mira out of some delicious Liberty of London fabric that she bought on line.  It is a super fine cotton Lawn with a printed design by Lauren Child, one of her favorite childhood authors.  It was difficult to get the fit just right on her curvy body, but, after multiple adjustments, I think it turned out nicely.  I also finished crocheting another cotton necklace for myself.

I definitely have the stitching bug right now.  I joined two on-line sites: Craftsy.com, and Ravelry.com. I just wanted to find some knitting and crochet patterns, but I ended up signing up for a (digital) class to learn how to make a knit lace shawl.  I am really excited about it.  I can watch it as many times as I want, whenever I want, start and stop if I need to, and I can send in pictures and questions if I have a problem.  It seems like a great idea.  I will let you know how it goes.

I also got the idea that I want to tailor a pattern for myself for a blouse (based on the kind my mom wore in the 60s) and then make about 10 of them in different fabrics.  How easy and fun would that be to have a pile of cute, perfect fitting, original design shirts that could be worn with slacks or skirts?  I just have to do it.  I am in the mood to work on projects in most of my free time.  I just hope the phase lasts because it does take time, and I have to remember to finish things before I start ten more.  If I start my shawl in May, and work steadily, it should be done just in time for winter (i.e. June).

5 comments:

  1. Sheila, You amaze me with all of your talents.And you have the fortitude to finish what you start.I used to be that way. Made a little gold colored coat and bonnet for Marianne when she was just about two. It had a scalloped yoke and was lined. I think I was about 23 at the time. Youth has no fear. I love Mira`s dress. Good job!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila,
    Still look forward to your blog---love that fabric in Mira's dress--it looks so nice on her and the fit is perfect---how ambitious to plan making 10 blouses --the perfect fit would make them so special too.
    Thanks again posting ,
    Love all of you,
    Auntie E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! You know I got my sewing bug from both of you! thanks for that. I hope I pass it down to my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm LIVING to see you in your 'Joan' line of blouses, Sheesh! Your work is beautiful (including the darling daughters, with kudos to co-creator, David). Miss you and love you all. TOS

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks S. I am motivated to do those blouses and I WILL call them The Joans! I'll keep you posted. xo

    ReplyDelete