Sunday, February 26, 2012

Update





















I didn't do a post last week because I was busy. Somehow doing takes the time and creative pressure away from writing. I did still think about writing, and my reflective mind was still winding away. I do want to write so that I can keep track of, and process all that has been happening.

Last week-end, David and I went down to the Botanical Gardens. It was a lovely, sunny, day, and we went by ourselves, so it was kind of a date. We strolled around, looking at the bats and the plants, and taking lots of pictures. We walked all the way home, past the market at Taylor Square, and through our charming Surry Hills neighborhood.

I spent the rest of the day Saturday, most of the day Sunday, and part of the day Monday, working on my embroidery project for my course. First, I organized all my threads which were in a huge wadded knot. I even made little cards to wind them on, and trays to keep them separated. It was a long process, but I am very happy with the outcome. I also thought up and planned my portfolio project, then I did some research and design sketching. Finally, I did some stitching.

I am going to have all my assignments for the stitching course relate to the theme of Famous Female Textile Designers. I am going to sketch designs inspired by these women, and then, I am going to stitch them. In the end my portfolio will be an archive of textile design history as well as embroidery history. I am very excited about this even though I realize it is a large undertaking.

I also finished the backing on the quilt that I made for Mira, got the batting, and brought it to a quilters house to have it machine quilted. I was hoping to have it done before Mira went off to college, but that didn't happen. I still need to sew on the binding (this will happen as soon as I finish writing). Anyway, it looks great, and the weather is really too warm to need a quilt yet.

The biggest occurrence, one that has me torn up with mixed emotions, is the departure of Mira from home. Obviously, we have been planning this, and looking forward to it for years. We are so proud of her, and happy for her that she was accepted into University of Sydney, one of the top universities in the world, and was chosen to be part of Sancta Sophia, a lovely and prestigious women's residential college. But, the bitter that goes with the sweet is that she is not around anymore. We don't see her everyday. We don't go to sleep or wake up in the same house. We don't get to share all of her experiences. We miss her.

It is hard for us, but it is made easier by the fact that she is already having a fantastic time filled with new friends, independent but protected and supported experiences, and lots of fun. She is being challenged as a person, growing as an adult, and doing so quite happily. It is hard not to get corny or overly sentimental about it because, actually, it is such a milestone. It is really a new phase, and the beginning of the rest of her life. It is a time when new challenges and opportunities are all around, but there are such good structures and venues in which to succeed.

It is a milestone for me too, as a parent. It is a time when I let go and step aside. The upside is that I get to have more one on one time with my younger daughter, have more dates with my husband, and maybe even do a few things just for myself.

The photos are: a Laura Ashley fabric that I got recently, flowers, birds, and bats at the RBG, street shots in Surry Hills, my practice stitching and some of my threads, Valerie, me and David on our lastnight out with Mira, at the Eathouse Diner, Mira's new room, the old, quaint, bathrooms, and the courtyard at Sancta Sophia, saying good bye and good luck, at the end of the night.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! This post was so poignant and sweet! I bet Mira misses you guys too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kit! I bet she misses us too, but she hasn't been in contact so she must be having too much fun.

    ReplyDelete