Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving








Well, it was two days late and we had to adapt some of the traditional recipes, but we didn't let the holiday go by unnoticed. I was actually working, Valerie was in school, and David was in the UK on Thanksgiving proper. Someone at work said to me "isn't it Thanksgiving today?" I was startled because I hadn't even thought about it. Earlier in the month I was contemplating whether or not to try to make something of it even though it is just a normal day here. On thursday (which is still wednesday in the States) I had forgotten about it. Part of the problem is that it is coming on Summer, and heavy, harvesty foods don't really fit. Standing over a hot stove in 80 degree weather is unthinkable. We are here to start a new life, and we have to get used to a new routine and new traditions.

In the end though, it got chilly out and rained all week, and hearing all our friends and family on facebook mention their celebrations made us want to give it a go. We did our best to make dishes resembling all-American fare within the constraints of vegetarianism and Aussie groceries. I made a stuffing/strata main dish with apples, chestnuts, celery, onion and sage. We also had sweet potatoes with orange juice and brown sugar syrup, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, and green bean casserole. They don't sell french fried onions, so we had to use (don't be shocked) cheese and onion potato chips! It actually passes. Mira made apple pie and little custards with whipped chestnut and pumpkin that she roasted - they don't sell it in a can. The desserts were unbelievably good and we three were more than sufficiently stuffed. Mira and I cleaned as we cooked so Valerie didn't have too much to clean up in the kitchen duty detail. We each said what we were thankful for (there is a lot).

We missed our friends, extended family, and David (not just because he usually does the dishes). I don't think there will be any leftovers on Tuesday when he finally gets home. We will be thankful when he gets back and we will still be missing our peeps in the US. I doubt that we will ever be back there for Thanksgiving but we can be part of the Australian melting pot, and develop the tradition over here. For Christmas we are planning a bbq seafood feast with mangos, fresh salads and even Pavlova.

(the last photo is of me skyping with David from his hotel room in Newcastle)

4 comments:

  1. Looks pretty darn tempting to me. Even after eating our T-day leftovers.
    Hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gerry, it did turn out delicious even without the turkey but I did miss the gravy, cranberries, and waldorf salad. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Australian Thanksgiving to your all dear Sheila. The feast looks delicious! I love sweet potato in every forms, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nat, next time you visit I will make you sweet potato pie - or if you want, I will send you the recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete